Tuesday 29 May 2012

May 28th, 2012
I had an appointment with my medical oncologist today. It was a video conference (like skype) at our local hospital, so I didn't have to travel to Victoria to see him. He gave me the results from my 3rd heart test (1 echocardiogram and 2 MUGA'S). It still hasn't improved enough to get the drug Herceptin. He made it sound like, if I insisted, I could get it, but it would be risky since my heart is only at 45-50% and if it got worse (a side effect of Herceptin), I could have heart failure, so we decided to wait. In 2 to 3 months I can have my heart tested again, so I will be working harder at exercising and eating well. I also asked him about a clinical trial for the drug, metformin, so I'm waiting to hear back from him, to see if I'm eligible. I haven't talked to the radiation oncologist yet, but I told the medical oncologist that I've decided against radiation.

At this point, unless I get into the clinical trial or get the drug Herceptin, I am back to living a normal life, with the exception of seeing my family doctor twice a year, having mammograms once a year and having plastic surgery. There is no other testing; no blood work, no bone scans, no MRI's, nothing, unless I have symptoms like headaches or bone pain, which could indicate a recurrence or a new cancer from the chemotherapy.

So, back to my family doctor to get another referral to the plastic surgeon. (It takes a few months to get an appointment, and another few to coordinate the surgeon and plastic surgeon, so hopefully I'll have my surgery this fall or winter.) I wanted to wait until at least October, to make sure the inflammation has been healed for a while. Constant inflammation isn't good, it feeds cancer. I may also ask to be referred to a different cardiologist, for a second opinion.

Then 2 more follow up appointments, one with the herbalist and one with the doctor from Inspire Health, to see what they suggest, now that I'm finished chemo.

My hair is still short and really soft, but it's getting thicker. It's so nice and cool when the weather is hot! My eyebrows are starting to come back too, it makes it easier to draw them on, but I was getting good at it. The only thing I really have trouble with, is the eyeliner, it's so much harder to put on when you don't have eyelashes! Hopefully they come back soon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment